FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ANSWERED:
Why use Acerola superfood as a vitamin C source instead of synthetic ascorbic acid?
Acerola is a natural concentrated rich source of vitamin C, which acts superior in the body. The body can absorb adequate quantities of vitamin C as required. Quality food source vitamin C is full of living energy and this is something synthetics lack. According to all research we are aware of, Acerola has without dispute shown to be superior in bioavailability compared to synthetic vitamin C sources.
Is your Acerola C considered a superfood?
Absolutely! A vitamin C superfood is a food source that naturally contains concentrated nutrients, provides many co-
Can I use any Acerola product?
Unfortunately, not all products are created of equal quality. To consume a proper food source supplement, it is essential to confirm it is organic, pure, was sourced and harvested and processed correctly to ensure a high quality Acerola powder and that the preservation method is fully natural. Natural Origins provides quality, tested, organic, freeze dried Acerola C powder.
What does “freeze dried” mean and why is it important for a quality vitamin C product?
Freeze drying is a dehydration process for food preservation. The food source is preserved by rapidly freezing it and then subjecting it to a high vacuum (reducing the surrounding pressure); which removes the ice crystal water by sublimation (change the ice from one state [frozen state] to another [gas state]), without disrupting molecular structures, membranes of cell proteins and vitamins – essentially preserving the food with all its properties. Freeze dried powders are a lot more concentrated nutritionally (vitamins, minerals, nutrients) than in its wet, fruit form. It preserves the integrity of the product as opposed to other inferior techniques used like spray drying where the product is heated to boiling point, in the process killing all essential elements within the food, followed by a chemical or carrier used to dry it.
Are there any additives or preservatives in the Acerola C?
No, there are no added synthetic ascorbic acid or ascorbates. The product is Non-
What is the origin of the Acerola C powder?
Country of Origin: Raw product from Brazil, processed in USA
Is the Acerola C powder quality tested?
Each and every batch is quality tested and analysed for microbiological characteristics before it is shipped. A certificate of analysis is issued confirming tests done and result outcomes. This product is produced in accordance with Good Manufacturing Practices and conforms in all respects to the provisions of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act –
How does the Acerola C taste?
Quality Acerola powder has a tart, tangy taste. It is actually quite pleasant, but may require an acquired taste for some. It is not a strong acidic taste like a lemon, and most people should find it quite palatable if dissolved in some water.
Will kids take Acerola C?
Our Acerola C dissolves easily in juice and most kids won’t even notice the taste once it is mixed in the juice. The powder can even be mixed with a little bit of raw honey and given by teaspoon.
Does it dissolve easily?
YES, it dissolves rapidly when mixed with a spoon or mixing gadget, which makes it very convenient for any mixture of choice.
Can I take Acerola C if I am pregnant?
Pregnant and lactating women’s vitamin C requirements are much higher and they need to supplement accordingly. Consult a medical practitioner for advice if pregnant.
Can I take Acerola C if I am lactating?
Yes, your breast fed infant will acquire vitamin C from your breast milk. Acerola can be supplemented in water as soon as baby is old enough for solids. According to the existing bioavailability studies, synthetic ascorbic acid is not absorbed as well by the body as Acerola. Supplementing with synthetic vitamin C instead of acquiring naturally occurring vitamin C in the diet, may result in lower vitamin C levels in breastmilk.
Will the Acerola C irritate the intestinal lining and stomach?
Acerola provides natural food source vitamin C. Therefore, unlike ascorbic acid, it is very gentle on the intestinal tract and can be taken on an empty stomach or with food/drink.
Why are lower daily dosages taken more frequently better than a once off large dosage?
Food source vitamin C is naturally low dosage. Smaller amounts of vitamin C taken more regularly will result in constant vitamin C saturation levels in the body as opposed to a larger dosage taken at once where any excess vitamin C not needed or utilised will be excreted. The body easily eliminates excess water soluble vitamins. Vitamin C is water soluble. It cannot be stored and must be consumed frequently.
Is it true that food source vitamin C and synthetic ascorbic acid is chemically and molecularly identical?
The chemical and molecular structure is identical, but a fact that cannot be disputed remains; food source vitamin C is still totally different from fractioned ascorbic acid. It will never be comparable. The “synthetic vitamin C vs Acerola vitamin C” studies prove that the body absorbs it differently. Natural food source vitamin C contains bioflavonoids, enzymes, polyphenols and co-
Is it true that the body cannot differentiate between a synthetic and natural vitamin?
Again, the studies show that the body does indeed differentiate, it is especially clear with Acerola. “Although many mainstream health professionals believe, ‘The body cannot tell whether a vitamin in the bloodstream came from an organically grown cantaloupe or from a chemist’s laboratory’, this belief is quite misleading for several reasons.
1. It seems to assume that the process of getting the amount of the vitamin into the bloodstream is the same (which is frequently not the case).
2. Scientists understand that particle size is an important factor in nutrient absorption even though particle size is not detected by chemical assessment.
3. Scientists also understand that, “The food factors that influence the absorption of nutrients relate not only to the nature of the nutrients themselves, but also their interaction with each other and with the non-
4. “The physiochemical form of a nutrient is a major factor in bioavailability” (and food and non-
Published scientific research has concluded, ‘natural vitamins are nutritionally superior to synthetic ones’.” Excerpt from http://www.doctorsresearch.com/articles4.html –
Why don’t humans produce their own ascorbic acid like most mammals?
Most mammals produce their own ascorbic acid in high dosages in their livers or kidneys. Only humans, some primates, guinea pigs and fruit bats have the inability to synthesize ascorbic acid from glucose. This does not necessarily (if taking all necessary information into consideration) signify that we need to consume high dosages of synthetic ascorbic acid in order to make up quantities. In the orthomolecular community, based upon the Linus Pauling’s theory, it is generally explained that humans have lost their ability to produce ascorbic acid in the body due to a defective gene mutation through evolution. Our question remains: How can this ever be proven? We therefore have to look further and also explore alternative explanations for not having the ability to create our own vitamin C if we want to truly get to the bottom of this question. Either humans were specifically created without the ability to synthesize vitamin C for very specific reasons, or as per the Linus Pauling theory, which states that something went wrong with our genes through evolution and the human race lost the ability to do so, which remains speculative. The latter makes less sense.
Some simplified considerations are explored below on why the human body just might be created perfect as intended and needs vitamin C from food sources:
1. Humans and the other deficient animal groups mentioned above are all natural fruit and vegetable eaters and obtain vitamin C from food sources –
2. Humans have all of the other enzymes necessary to convert glucose into vitamin C but are missing only the final enzyme for the last step in synthesizing vitamin C, implying to the untrained individual that there is a biochemical pathway that leads to a dead end. Actually, the biochemical pathway that leads to the synthesis of vitamin C in other animals, also leads to the formation of five-
3. The red blood cells of humans are equipped to suck up vitamin’s oxidized form L-
4. Glut1 is a protein found in the membranes of cells throughout the body. It is the primary transporter of glucose. Glut1 can transport DHA too. Glut1 on human red blood cells strongly favours DHA over glucose. Human blood cells are known to carry more Glut1 than any other cell type. As red blood cells develop in the bone marrow, their transport of glucose declines even as Glut1 numbers skyrocket. The key to the glucose transporters switch to DHA is the presence of another membrane protein called stomatin. Therefore, red blood cell specific Glut1 and stomatin expression and DHA transport are specific traits of the few vitamin C deficient mammalian species which constitutes a compensatory mechanism in mammals that are unable to synthesize the essential ascorbic acid metabolite. 21st issue of Cell, a publication of cell press.
What are Polyphenols?
Polyphenols are bio-
How does “Acerola C” compare to other natural whole food vitamin C blended products?
Summary: Freeze dried Acerola vitamin C powder cannot accurately be compared to other whole food blended products for a number of reasons:
- Quality organic Freeze dried Acerola powder is the highest natural vitamin C food supplement available commercially at 17000mg – 22000mg vitamin C per 100g powder. Any other blended whole food product will have lower vitamin C content.
- While other blended products are considered supplements, Acerola is an exotic natural vitamin C SUPERFOOD and nutrient powerhouse, as well as a functional food which compliments the diet and thereby offers health enhancement. It is much more than an average vitamin C supplement.
- Apart from vitamin C content:
- Blended vitamin C products have their own herbal and nutritional health enhancing qualities specific to ingredients used.
- Quality organic Freeze dried Acerola powder is a vitamin C superfood that have its own set of health promoting benefits.
If the purpose of using a product is to obtain the most powerful natural Vitamin C source possible for strong anti-
- Quality organic Freeze dried Acerola is the highest natural vitamin C food supplement available commercially at 17000mg – 22000mg vitamin C per 100g powder. That is 170mg – 220mg vitamin C per 1g powder.
- Whole food vitamin C blended products on the market varies between 60mg to 220mg vitamin C per 1g product.
- If higher vitamin C quantities is claimed, the product’s true Vitamin C value may not have been formally tested, or the product is fortified with synthetic ascorbic acid.
- Whole food Vitamin C blended products are often even further buffered due to natural preservative additions. Freeze dried Acerola powder naturally preserves up to 12 months if it is kept sealed and stored in a cool, dry place –
no preservatives that buffer the product.
- Whole food vitamin C blended products contain different foods of varying vitamin C content. When combining all the products, the resultant Vitamin C content is determined by the:
- Quantity of each of these individual products used (grams).
- Their inherent Vitamin C content mg/g of product.
- Extras and fillers that will buffer the product.
Therefore, the total Vitamin C content of any combination can never be higher than the content of the single highest Vitamin C containing product used. Consequently, no natural whole food vitamin C blend can have a higher Vitamin C content than pure freeze dried Acerola powder at 220mg per 1g.
- It does not mean that whole food blended products do not have health promoting attributes and benefits, quite the contrary. Each whole food vitamin C blended product also has its own unique herbal and nutritional health enhancing qualities and benefits specific to the food and herbal ingredients used. BUT if the purpose of using a product is to use the most powerfulnatural Vitamin C source possible for strong anti-
oxidant properties within the body, then Freeze dried Acerola is the highest natural vitamin C source one would be able to consume and therefore superior to blended products with lower vitamin C quantities.
- Freeze dried Acerola powder has its own set of health promoting benefits.